A children’s home centred on the foundation of Christ, Rumah Faith run by Desa Amal Jireh raises godly, independent and confident children who love Jesus, their community and the world.
TODAY IS ‘INTRODUCING OUR OTHER GRANDCHILDREN’S DAY’ – the sentence in all-caps would grab anyone’s attention, but then, only a proud grandfather would be this excited. In his Facebook post, Rev. Terrence Sinnadurai proceeded to list his new ‘grandchildren’ along with their photos, newborn sons and daughters of ex-Rumah Faith children.
I believe we will have more, if we are privileged, as the years go fleeting by. We were once their “parents”, now they consider us grandparents [to their children]1.Rev. Terrence sinnadurai
Rev. Terrence and his wife Kamala founded Rumah Faith more than three decades ago in a single-storey house with two children. As of today, nearly 1,000 children in need have passed through their doors, regaining purpose, growing in faith and finding a family. In a way, life has come full circle for Rev. Terrence and Kamala as they see the family they built now creating families of their own.
Desa Amal Jireh (DAJ) in Semenyih, Selangor houses two homes: Rumah Faith for children in need and Eagles’ Nest for senior citizens. Registered with both the Registrar of Societies and Department of Social Welfare, DAJ holds tax-exempt status and has a monthly operations cost of around RM120,000.
Building a brighter future for Malaysia’s next generation
Rumah Faith, just like its name, runs on the fuel of faith. By seeing the God-given potential in each child, the home endeavours to provide a loving, safe and nurturing environment for them to grow confidently. Many of their children have gone on to complete their studies, find stable jobs and live independently. From nurses to clerks, engineers to even a pet shop owner, it is undeniable that God’s grace has permeated every part of this ministry since it first began.
Success is not determined by the job they do or being a university graduate. Success to us means they are able to cut the poverty cycle, be good parents to their children, give their best to the family by ensuring they maintain a job. Of the almost 1,000 children who have left the home, about 94% of them are successful2.RACHEL SHANTI kathiripillai, DAJ Managing administrator
Today, Rumah Faith provides a home for 88 children and with a team of dedicated in-house staff, raises them in a godly environment through education, empowerment and skills training. Extra-curricular activities are also emphasised to help children develop soft skills, stay emotionally healthy and just have fun!
The NGO’s focus on education is evident, for Rev. Terrence and his team believe that education provides hope for a better future. A homeschool centre on the premises serves children who are unable to fit into the mainstream education system, ensuring that no child in Rumah Faith gets left behind.
How can I support Rumah Faith?
Rumah Faith runs entirely on charitable contributions from donors and organisations. There are many ways you can contribute to the good work being done by Rev. Terrence, Kamala, Rachel and the team.
- DONATE – all monetary donations are tax-exempt.
- SPONSOR A CHILD – for RM50 every month, you can support the growth and development of a child in Rumah Faith. You can also start connecting with the sponsored child through letters and gifts.
- VOLUNTEER – if you have talents or time, use it to impact the next generation!
- CSR / COMMUNITY SERVICE PROJECTS – organise a community project with your classmates or colleagues.
- BOOK A NIGHT AT THE DAJ HOMESTAY – spend a weekend at their homestay and experience life at DAJ. (Note: With the pandemic situation still fluid, please call 03-87245153 to check if the homestay is open on your intended dates of travel)
- DONATE GROCERIES OR HOUSEHOLD ITEMS – with many mouths to feed, the pantry can always use a generous hand! For the full list of items needed, click here.
As Jesus Christ said in John 14:17, “No, I will not abandon you as orphans; I will come to you,” Rumah Faith is a living testimony that through God’s love, hard work and committed hearts, we can break the cycle of poverty amongst our nation’s poorest. Anyone can be part of transformation.
1. Facebook Post by Desa Amal Jireh, 2022
2. Conversations with Homes: What’s the state of institutional care in Malaysia?, 2021, Wiki Impact